[gmx-users] viscosity calculation using g_energy (3.3.3)

JMandumpal jesbman at rediffmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:39:52 CET 2009

David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Indeed I did  as what you suggested- g_energy -f water.edr -vis test.xvg

The output file created includes three columns.

1. time ( ps) 2. shear viscosity (3) I assume it is bulk viscosity.

It seems, the unit given is cp. ( 1cp= 1* 10¯3 Pascal Second).

The bulk viscosity of water at 300 K is approximately 0.7 cp. But the value ( Bulk viscosity) I got from the program gives me 100 pa-s, an increase of two order of magnitude. I wonder whether I have done anything wrong while specifying the frequency of saving energy file.

I have saved the energy file in every 2ps. Isn´t that enough for a simple system like water? OR should I have to save trajectories in every 5fs as suggested by one in a previous post.

I post the first 20 lines of the output file.

# This file was created Thu Mar 12 16:20:09 2009
# by the following command:
# g_energy -f water.edr -vis test.xvg
#
# g_energy is part of G R O M A C S: