[gmx-users] free energy coupling/decoupling equivalence

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:06:49 CET 2009

Hi,

If you are talking about equilibrium methods, for instance free energy intergration
or Bennett's acceptance ratio, there is no directionality.
You might start a simulations at a lamba point with the end configuration of the previous lambda,
which could introduce some directionality, but then you should equilibrate long enough
to see no effect of this.

If you are doing non-equilibrium methods, than I would say that it is common sense
that you should start from the higher entropy state, since starting from the lower
entropy state increase the probability that you miss a significant part of the phase
space of the other state.

Berk