[gmx-users] Re: Fwd: Ligand is moving far away after energy minimization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 13 12:16:34 CET 2009

Please keep all Gromacs-related messages on the gmx-users list.

Ms. Aswathy S wrote:

> Dept. Biotechnology
> Ext. 3108

There are two possibilities that immediately come to mind.

1. Bad steric clashing between elements of your system.
2. Improper parameters for some part of your system (most likely the ligand).

Visual inspection should aid if #1 is the case.  Literature reading and careful
consideration should aid in #2.  Parameterization is tricky, and parameters from
PRODRG almost always require manual adjustment and validation before they should
be used.

-Justin

> Thanks,
> Aswathy
>
>> Dear Gromacs users,
>>
>> I am doing the MD of protein ligand complex. When I did the energy minimization of this complex,   in the result , the ligand molceule is moving far away from the protein.
>>
>> What could be the possible reason? can anyone tell me how can i overcome this?
>>

> Two possibilities come to my mind.
>
> 1. The parameters of the ligand are inappropriate, causing the ligand to be
> ejected from the active site.  This is unlikely in a simple EM procedure, and
> probably would cause lots of LINCS or "blowing up" warnings.
>
> 2. More likely: Your protein is positioned near a box edge and the ligand is
> crossing periodic boundaries.  Consider how you set up the box and read about PBC:
>
> http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions
>
> -Justin
>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Aswathy