[gmx-users] using more than one type of molecules

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 14 13:41:58 CET 2009

Molecular Dynamics wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I use DRGGMX.ITP and DRGPOH.PDB for each type of molecule from the
> PRODRG. And you suggested that ' If these come from PRODRG, they will
> probably require manual modification and validation of their contents.'
> What kind of modifications should I do ? Could you please give me some

1. If you are using the original PRODRG, don't.  The parameters it generates are
for ffgmx, which is deprecated and should not be used.  Use PRODRG-2.5 (beta
server) and get a Gromos96 43a1-compatible topology.
2. The charges and charge groups assigned by PRODRG are inconsistent, at best.
You will need to consult the manual for information about charge groups, and
existing elements of the force field to determine whether or not the charges
assigned are appropriate.

> info about it ? And I 'm planning to obtain a binary mixture ( X : 120 Y
> : 60 molecules number for example ) . According to your suggestions I
> will have used DRGGMX.ITP and DRGPOH.PDB  files of  X molecule, but I
> will just have used DRGGMX.ITP file of Y molecule. Isn't it important to
> use DRGPOH.PDB  file of Y molecule. Because Y is not a solvent. X and Y

I'm not sure I fully understand.  You will obviously have to re-name the files
to have them make any sense.  You also cannot call both of them "DRG" within the
.pdb and .itp files, as is the output of PRODRG.

> are organic molecules. And I think this is the unique way to obtain a
> binary mixture with using –cp X.pdb –cs Y.pdb in Gromacs usage. Could
> you explain these significant issues ?

Using genbox should be fine.

-Justin

> Sincerely