[gmx-users] gromacs 4 mpi weirdness

Ran Friedman r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Tue Mar 17 10:53:40 CET 2009

Hi Tsjerk,

I've encountered problem #2 with GMX 4.0.2 before. I'm not exactly sure
what went wrong, but it may have been due to mpi. With lammpi things work.

Hope that helps,

Ran.

Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running in trouble trying to compile gromacs 4.0.x on our national
> Intel Xeon Linux cluster (Lisa/Sara). The same problem pops up with
> different compilers (GNU GCC 3.4, 4.1 (default on the cluster :p),
> Intel). I'm using fftw-3.2.1 and mpich/gnu c.q. mpich/intel. mdrun
> compiles, but when I try to run it, it 1. starts running in the
> gromacs installation directory and 2. starts the same job for every
> processor rather than one job on all of them. Trying to run mdrun in
> an interactive PBS job shows that it's really a problem with mdrun
> itself. I must be overlooking something. Anyone have an idea?
>
> Neither ./configure nor make report any problems. The former I include
> below for completeness. Of course I'd be happy to supply more
> information on request or do some additional tests.
>
> I'll also contact the support team of the facility and report back if
> they come up with a solution.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tsjerk
>
> tsjerk at login-ng1:~/gromacs-4.0.4$ ./configure
> --prefix=/home/tsjerk/GMX404/ --enable-mpi --program-suffix="_mpi"
> --disable-nice
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether gcc-3.4 accepts -g... yes
> checking for gcc-3.4 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> checking dependency style of gcc-3.4... gcc3
> checking dependency style of gcc-3.4... gcc3
> checking for mpxlc... no
> checking for mpicc... mpicc
> checking whether the MPI cc command works... yes
> checking for catamount... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... mpicc -E
> checking whether mpicc accepts -O3... yes
> checking whether mpicc accepts -funroll-all-loops... yes
> checking whether mpicc accepts  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -finline-functions -Wall -Wno-unused -funroll-all-loops... yes
> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
> checking for int... yes
> checking size of int... 4
> checking for long int... yes
> checking size of long int... 4
> checking for long long int... yes
> checking size of long long int... 8
> checking for off_t... yes
> checking size of off_t... 4
> checking that size_t can hold pointers... yes
> checking floating-point format... IEEE754 (little-endian byte and word order)
> [...]

Ran Friedman
Postdoctoral Fellow
Computational Structural Biology Group (A. Caflisch)
Department of Biochemistry
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland