[gmx-users] Softcores: sc-power = 1 or 2 ? again

Eudes Fileti fileti at ufabc.edu.br
Wed Mar 18 03:15:52 CET 2009

Hello Berk, I have tried to calculate the free energy of transfer
for a polyhydroxylated (from benzene to ethanol).
The Dg/dlambda plot, for both, benzene and ethanol shows a
very high and narrow peak near lambda=0. In the case of ethanol
is worse due to the solute-solvent hydrogen bonds.

I performed two sets of simulations, one for sc-power=1 and another
for sc-power=2. For sc-power=1 I got a peak much higher than for
sc-power=2, and therefore the integration in this case (sc-power=1)
could lead me to a much greater error. (please see figure
http://cromo.ufabc.edu.br/~fileti/web/dgdl-transfer2.jpg)
In both cases (ethanol and benzene) the curves coincide for values of lambda
beyond 0.4.

That is the why of my original question. Not in this case is justified
use sc-power=2? Have you any tips on how to ensure the accuracy of
calculation of Delta_G in this case?

Bests
eef

Message: 3