[gmx-users] Doubt regarding membrane protein in POPC bilayer

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 19 14:04:42 CET 2009

Pawan Kumar wrote:
> Hello Justin Sir,
>
> Greetings from Pawan
> Thanks for your valuable suggestion and reply.
> After inserting the protein in the bilayer using genbox I have minimized
> the whole system without using any position restraints (i.e. define =
> -DFLEXIBLE in em.mdp file). I used vanderwaal's distance parameter (
> -vdwd of 0.6 ) in the genbox step.
> After running mdrun for energy minimization I got the output as :
> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax<2250 in 14 steps.
> Potential energy = - 6.9484700e+05
> Maximum force = 2.2114819e+03 on atom 34277
> Norm. of force = 5.0103039e+04

You should try for an Fmax of no greater than 1000.  2250 is still very high.

> I tried decreasing the emtol value in the em.mdp file but it ended with
> machine precision.

How far did it converge?  What was Fmax?

> I have read in literature that 5000 steps of Steetest Descents run is
> required after inserting the protein in the bilayer which should be
> followed by atleast 1000 steps of conjugate gradients. How can I
> accomplish this ? Is there any parameter to be given in the em.mdp file
> ? I use steep as the integrator in the mdp file for energy minimization.

Read the manual.

Whether or not that exact setup is going to be "required" is likely
system-specific.  I would say that as long as your system converges to a stable,
negative Epot with a reasonable Fmax (less than 1000, but ideally lower) then
you *may* have an appropriate starting structure.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080