[gmx-users] Re: g_covar

Ran Friedman r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Thu Mar 26 09:33:50 CET 2009

Dear Dagoberto,

Choosing the right protein structure (and also which part of the protein
to align) depends a lot of your system. I wouldn't use an average
structure for a system that's changing a lot, because it may not be
representative. It's hard to provide a more elaborate answer without
many details about your system and what you're trying to simulate. It
can be helpful to read both on the methods of covariance analysis and on
some implementation - i.e., papers in which it has been used to
calculate correlated motion.

As to modification of the code, I found it easiest to compile the source
code for various tools within GMX. It's not necessary, but it makes your
life easier.

Since your question doesn't refer to the modified g_covar code directly,
I'm ccing the gromacs mailing list. Please keep future correspondence there.

Good luck,
Ran