[gmx-users] How to add another electrostatic summation method in Gromacs

Shuangxing Dai shuangxingdai at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:06:03 CET 2009

Thank you for your help. I attached the page of the form of potential. The
equation (5.13) gives all the potential energy of neighbours of one ion in a
truncation sphere.  Rc is cut-off. Since this potential depends on all the
neighbours in a cut-off distance, I cannot give the pair interaction because
in this method, only the total potential energy of one ion maks sense. In
Ewald summation, both the real space and reciprocal space summation can be
written as the summation of pair potential. But in wolf, I cannot do that.
Since I cannot use Ewald without peoriodical boundary conditions while this
Wolf method can, so I cannot simply use Gromacs to do my simulation. The
question is which files needed to be modified if I want to add a new one? Is
there any direct way? Or I should read all the whole code?
Thank you very much.
Shuangxing Dai