[gmx-users] How to add another electrostatic summation methodin Gromacs

Shuangxing Dai shuangxingdai at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:20:09 CET 2009

Yes, but I still cannot write out the pair interaction for each ion since
there is cut off. With cut off, I need to assign a averge value of the last
two constants to each ion. But I cannot get the total number of neighbours
in a cut off distance in advance. So I cannot use the user defined part to
do my eletrostatic summation.

I compared carefully with Wolf summation with the Ewald summation, the
differences are:
1. There is no reciprocal term in Wolf.
2.Instead, the Wolf assums that the ions out side the truncations sphere is
exactly located at the sphere. That is how the extra two terms come out.
3. Wolf uses cut-off, while Ewald can only deal with peoriodical boundary
conditions cases.
So I need to add a similiar summation like Ewald to treat with the
long-range electrostatic force, not a non-bonded interaction. Then which
parts needs to be read and modified?
Thank you for your kindly help.
Shuangxing Dai