[gmx-users] HF/6-31G** ESP derived charges to replace PRODRG assigned ones

Ran Friedman, Biochemisches Inst. r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Fri Mar 27 21:35:43 CET 2009

Dear Josmar,

You haven't written which force field you plan to use. For OPLS and AMBER
QM-based optimisation should be fine. In Gromos, the FF was developed with
the aim of reproducing experimental results and I'm not sure if you can find
a better solution than examining other residues with the same chemical
moieties or use the same approach as reported in the relevant manuscripts.
Some software packages can also be used - these are mostly proprietary and
not so easy to use.

Once you derive the parameters, it's a good idea to make some test runs of
the ligands and see if they behave as expected before you actually run a
simulation with the protein. For example, if a conjugate ring system isn't
planar something may be wrong in the setting.

There's no easy solution - this is why it's considered an advanced topic. It
is, however, very important. I've encountered a ligand that leaves its
binding site during a simulation due to wrong parameters (in this case, the
protonation of a protein side chain - FEBS  581, Pages 4120-4124, 2007).

Hope that helped,
Ran