[gmx-users] new block lactitol

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 31 23:20:45 CEST 2009

cesteban at unsl.edu.ar wrote:
> Hi Justin
> Thanks for your answer.
> I had check the relevant sugar, but I still have the problem of
> parameterization of the open GLC ring that forms the lactitol molecule.

Hence why parameterization is difficult :)  But I maintain that all of the
relevant functional groups (which in your case are primarily alcohols) are
present within the force field to get you started.  There are slight differences
between sugar alcohol groups (i.e., GLC/GAL) and alcohols on amino acids
(SER/TYR), especially in terms of charge.  You will have to decide what is best
for your molecule.  Thorough validation of the accuracy of these parameters is
necessary in all cases of new parameters.

Sorry, there is no easy answer when developing new parameters.  It is a very
difficult part of running simulations :)

-Justin