[gmx-users] Making Commands Non-Interactive

Alexander Bujotzek bujotzek at zib.de
Mon Oct 5 10:15:42 CEST 2009

I once wrote some lines of adventurous C-code to get an observable of
choice from g_energy without typing the observable index myself... this
may also be applied to trjconv I think.

string genergyCall = "g_energy -f " + myEdrFile + " -o " + myXvgFile + "
&> /dev/null";
string energyObs = "8"; // e.g. potential

FILE *fpipe;
fpipe = popen(genergyCall.c_str(),"w");
fwrite(energyObs.data(), 1, 1, fpipe); // tell g_energy what to write
pclose(fpipe);

If you want to pipe more stuff to the program you are calling, the buffer
size of fwrite has to be increased.
So you might put this into a minimal C-program and start that
non-interactive with qsub or whatever.