[gmx-users] vsites and lincs-order

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:56:47 CEST 2009

> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:51:00 +0200
> From: jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] vsites and lincs-order
>
> All right, thanks!
>
> Since you mention energy conservation, maybe it would be worth adding
> notes or a warnings into pdb2gmx if the time step is large. First, if
> lincs-order is 4 (instead of 6) and second (more important), if nstlist
> is not reduced with increasing dt. I strongly feel that most people who
> use vsites forget to reduce nstlist accordingly.

grompp you mean, I guess?

> I have played a bit with timestep and nstlist and checked the energy
> drift - apparently neighbor searching should be done at least every
> 20fs. With less frequent neighbor searching the energy drift increases
> drastically (with PME and LJ-cutoff, what people typically use). Now
> imagine a time step of 5fs, with the standard nstlist=10, yields
> neighbor searching only every 50fs. In my test system that increased the
> energy drift by a factor of 10-20 compared to the case where neighbor
> searching was done every 20fs.

We can not do such things.
Gromacs is not a atomistic, protein specific simulations package.
For other systems, masses, etc. such settings could be fine.
Moreover, grompp can not easily check for this specific type of vsite use.
TIP4p, for instance, also contains a vsite.

It has happened that someone put in similar checks in grompp, but this can be
EXTREMELY annoying when you use different systems.

Berk