[gmx-users] creating a larger lipid membrane

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Oct 10 02:39:00 CEST 2009

Amit Choubey wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I have been trying to generate a larger lipid system but am running into
> troubles due to improper initial co-ordinates set up. Following are the
> steps i am trying to follow.
>
> 1. I start with a 128 dppc membrane and use genconf to create a larger
> system. I got the dppc128.pdb from Dr. Peter Tieleman's website.

Did you correct for periodicity before you extended the system?  The files
distributed by Tieleman are compact representations.

> 2. I changed my topology file accordingly (change the number of DPPC and
> Water molecules)
>
> 3. I move on to energy minimization. During the mdrun i see the
> following message :-
>
> Warning: 1-4 interaction between 1854 and 1857 at distance 6.249 which
> is larger than the 1-4 table size 2.800 nm
> These are ignored for the rest of the simulation
> This usually means your system is exploding,
> if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
> or with user tables increase the table size

Looks to me like two bonded atoms are across the box from each other, which
seems to answer my question above :)

> I also notice that the max force does not converge to less than 2000
> rather its of the order of 2e+06 .
>
> 4. I tried to do energy minimization again on the above system but the
> steepest descent could not change the potential energy substantially and
> terminated after less that 20 steps. I again noticed the following warning
>
> Warning: 1-4 interaction between 1854 and 1857 at distance 5.269 which
> is larger than the 1-4 table size 2.800 nm
> These are ignored for the rest of the simulation
> This usually means your system is exploding,
> if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
> or with user tables increase the table size
>
> 5. Now i changed my mdp files to do periodic_molecules = yes . Note pbc
> = xyz has been used as default.

Bad idea.  This option is for "infinite" molecules, like nanotubes or graphene
sheets that are supposed to extend across the simulation box.

> Same warnings were printed out during energy minimization.
>
> 6. I also tried to use the table-extension option and increased its
> value to 10 nm but later the LINCS printed out too many warnings and MD
> could not be done. I know that its not at all a good idea to increase
> the 1-4 cut off.

The standard advice is to fix the problem with the system, not change the
table-extension.

> By the way to be specific the system size was 12 x 12 x 6 in nm3. I had
> 256 lipids and about 7300 water molecules.
>

> I believe that this might not be the best way to create a larger bilayer
> system. Could somebody suggest me other ways of doing this?

Fix periodicity, then use genconf.

-Justin

> Any help will be appreciated thank you
>
> Amit