[gmx-users] trr file in VMD

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 12 03:44:54 CEST 2009

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Paymon Pirzadeh wrote:
>> I did that but, it did not work! I just get a constant color.
>>

> Unless the velocity is written to a field that VMD recognizes, I don't
> think you'll be able to see the velocities colored.  For example, VMD
> can color by B-factor or occupancy, neither of which would be useful for
> velocities, because I don't know of a way to write velocity information
> to these fields.

Now that I stop and think about it... velocity is a vector... how did
the original poster want to colour by a vector? Speed would be a
different matter (but nearly useless). Usually you'd have to use an
arrow to represent velocity, and ordinarily the length of the arrow
would be better way to indicate the speed than the colour of
fixed-length arrows.

Mark