[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 85

Pan Wu pan.wu at duke.edu
Mon Oct 12 16:38:00 CEST 2009

Thanks Dr. Dallas Warren. I have plotted the picture of pressure with
respect to simulation time, it is not fluctuation, it
is monotonically decrease from about 500 to 3 bar, this is why I am
confused.

If it really should take some time to converge the required pressure, my MD
simulation is 4 ns, during the whole simulation time, the pressure keeps on
decrease. (Will this pressure convergence take that long time?)

The initial box size is 12 ns *12 ns *12 ns, after the simulation, it turned
out to be 52 * 52 *52 .

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:32:19 +1100
> From: "Dallas B. Warren" <Dallas.Warren at pharm.monash.edu.au>
> Subject: RE: [gmx-users] Pressure problem: pressure is too large
>        during  MDsimulation
> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>
> Plot the fluctuations of the pressure with time for the simulation.  Far
> better way I think to get an idea of what is going on with a property
> than just looking at values in a log file.  Especially when you are
> starting out.
>

> With pressure coupling, it is not unusual to have a fluctuation of a
> hundred or so.  And that is nothing to worry about, entirely normal
> behaviour to observe.  And with such large fluctuations, the average
> pressure can deviate from the reference pressure.  Of course, with more
> sample points and longer simulation time, it will get closer to the
> reference value.
>

> Catch ya,
>
> Dr. Dallas Warren
> Department of Pharmaceutical Biology
> Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
> 381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
> dallas.warren at pharm.monash.edu.au
> +61 3 9903 9167
> When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble
> a nail.

Sincerely