[gmx-users] multi-component membrane simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 12 17:48:11 CEST 2009

Stanislaw Bobritsky wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> It is given a lipid bilayer containing POPC (280 molecules), POPS (80)
> and CHL(cholesterol, 40 molecules).
> When I try to minimize this system in vacuo (steepest descent), I can
> see the following:
>
>         Warning: 1-4 interaction between 19 and 34 at distance 4.892
>         which is larger than the 1-4 table size 2.400 nm
>
> After that, of course, the system appears to be exploded.
> (all topologies were generated with ProDrug server)
>
> I tried to work with different component combinations. For example:
>
> 280 POPC:            Warning about 1-4 interaction, but system appears
> to be alive. The 2nd minimization gives normal result with no warnings.
> 80 POPS:              The same.
> 40 CHL:                OK
> 1POPC+1CHL:     OK
> 1POPC+1POPS:   OK
> 280POPC+80POPS:    FAIL (warnings like previous, system destruction)
>
> OK = no warnings, quick convergence.
>
> 280POPC+40CHL and 80POPS+40CHL boxes can be successfully minimized in
> the same way. But if many POPC and POPS can be found in one box - the
> resulting system is destroyed.
>
> How can it be fixed?

There is something unstable about the way you are preparing your system.  I know
that's generic, but I don't know how you're putting everything together.
Probably severe atomic overlap in the larger systems.  See here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up

Also note that PRODRG topologies, at face value, are probably not correct.  They
often (read: always!) require manual modification and validation before they
should be considered trustworthy.  Lousy parameters might also cause problems.

-Justin

> Thanks for help!
> Stanislaw Bobritsky,
> ChemBio Center, Taras Shevchenko National University, Kiev, Ukraine.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080