[gmx-users] g_hbond and hydrogen bonds involving sulfur

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 15 15:49:15 CEST 2009

Diana Lousa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Does any know why g_hbond does not (at least in a straightforward way)
> enable the calculation of hbonds involving sulfur atoms (e.g. between
> cysteines and other residues)? Is there an easy way to tell gromacs to
> consider sulfur a donor and acceptor atom?

The program probably doesn't consider -SH groups in hydrogen bond analysis
because in protein structures, the vast majority of hydrogen bonds occur among
C=O, -NH, and -OH groups in the protein and within the surrounding (usually
aqueous) solvent.

The only way to get g_hbond to recognize sulfur is to change the code, but this
is not what I would necessarily call "easy."

As an alternative, since g_hbond calculates geometric parameters (distances and
angles between the donors and acceptors) to determine the presence or absence of
a hydrogen bond, you could probably accomplish a similar analysis by using
g_dist and g_angle for craftily-derived index groups.  Some non-Gromacs
post-processing would also be involved, as far as determining if the angle and
distance requirements are met (easily done with Perl, for example).  I realize
this is more tedious, but it makes such an analysis possible without modifying
the code.

-Justin

> Thanks in advance
>
> Diana Lousa