[gmx-users] top file in coarse-grained

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 19 21:44:45 CEST 2009

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi Justin:
> Could you please indicate the location of such scripts?

They're on the MARTINI website, but given the further description of your
system, they won't solve your problem.  What I was referring to were scripts to
build protein topologies.  They won't help in subsequent steps of building the
system.

> I have no trouble (in generating the .tpr file) with protein partly
> embedded in a double layer, by counting graphically the lipid residues
> and W residues remaining after creating the hole for the protein pore
> region.
>
> My trouble is with water blocks added to the parts of protein emerging
> from the double layer. Operating as above, no match .gro/.top is
> obtained.

So the problem is in counting the water molecules?  It's fairly simple:

grep W structure.gro | wc -l

Then just update the topology accordingly.  From your description, though, it
sounds like you have a method for counting the W particles, so perhaps I don't
understand what the problem is.  To get additional help, it would be useful to
see what commands you're using to create your system.

> On the other hand, it seems that in GROMACS there is no such
> possibilty as with AMBER's LEAP to solvate EXTERNALLY a system. Which
> was what I used with all-atoms in AMBER.

Not true.  That's what genbox is for.  As for considerations of the difficulties
of a membrane system, see here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Membrane_Simulations

You just need an appropriate solvent box, which is provided by the MARTINI folks.

-Justin