[gmx-users] Setting up an infinitely hard wall

Amit Choubey kgp.amit at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:26:08 CEST 2009

Hi Berk,
Thank you for the response.

I have obtained distributions with in infinite wall by simulating with an
> softer wall
> and unbiasing with configurations with the wall potential.

Could you explain the above ? I am not sure if i get your point.

> But if you need the dynamics, or you want less hassle during the
> simulation,
> you will have to do a bit more effort in coding an infinitely hard wall.
>
> You will not only have to inverse the velocity, but also mirror the
> position
> of the particle in the wall.

That's true. I am sorry i didnt mention that.

> This should on require a few lines of code in do_update_md
> in src/mdlib/update.c.

Great, I will try this as soon as possible.

> Note that this will only work easily when you do not have constraints
> present.
> With constraints things get much more complicated.

I do have constraints present. Thank you for pointing this. I am working
with SPC water and I should, in principle be able to figure out the
co-ordinates of all atoms in the molecule if I am given one of the water's
atom's co-ordinate. Does that sound ok?

Thanks for the input again,
Amit