[gmx-users] how to stop duplicate atoms from being deleted

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 23 16:06:44 CEST 2009

Jennifer Williams wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I am in fact studying one huge molecule. All of my
> atoms are bonded together in one large structure (kind of like a
> zeolite) so I have necessarily defined them as a single residue.

I would argue that you have a polymer, which can certainly be handled by
pdb2gmx.  See below.

> There is no way I can split this molecule into smaller subunits and thus
> define a number of residues-it wouldn't make sense to do so.

If you have a lot of repetition, I would think it would be quite easy to split
it apart.

> Yes in my .rtp file I have only defined each atom type once. To define
> each and every atom in my one residue would mean defining 4284 atoms!

If you have a repeating structure, you have a polymer, so you can just decompose
a repeat unit into a single .rtp entry.  That's the entire purpose of pdb2gmx,
we certainly wouldn't want to create an .rtp entry for every single possible
protein either!

For more information, see here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Polymers

> I am having real trouble in creating topology files for my structure. At
> the moment, the only way I can do this is by using a tool in DL_POLY to
> create a field file and then manually change it to a .top file. This is
> really fiddely and I have a number of similar structures to do this for.
> I was hoping that I could do a similar step in Gromacs and get a .top
> file straight away-even if it means a bit more work setting it up.
>
> Is there any hope or is pdb2gmx simply not designed to work for this
> sort of system?

You can certainly use pdb2gmx, it is intended to be versatile so it can be used
with any repeating structure of monomers, homogenous (like a repeating polymer)
or heterogenous (like a protein).  See the link above.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar