[gmx-users] Lennard Jones Parameters for Ammonia in ffoplsaa

Darrell Koskinen darrellk at ece.ubc.ca
Sun Oct 25 22:22:36 CET 2009

I looked through the ffoplsaanb.itp file and see that all the H atoms
except for the following four have zero LJ parameters:

HC OPLS_140 alkane H
HA OPLS_146 Benzene H
H4 OPLS_345 Cytosine H-C6
H5 OPLS_355 Adenine & Guanine H-C2

However, in the paper "Development and Testing of the OPLS All-Atom
Force Field on Conformational Energetics and Properties of Organic
Liquids", it states: "The original OPLS (optimized potentials for liquid
simulations) potential functions used a partially united-atom (UA)
model; sites for nonbonded interactions are placed on all nonhydrogen
atoms and on hydrogens attached to heteroatoms or carbons in aromatic
rings". Later, the paper indicates that the paramters were adopted as
much as possible from the OPLS-UA force field. Thus, since "sites for
nonbonded interactions are placed on hydrogens attached to heteroatoms
", it appears to me that a site for a non-bonded interaction should
exist on the H atoms within ammonia. Is my interpretation incorrect?

Thanks.

Darrell