[gmx-users] Re: minimization problem

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 26 00:56:36 CET 2009

Paymon Pirzadeh wrote:
> Hello,
> I merged two simulation boxes, and now I want to perform a minimization
> to remove the problems at their boundary! I have reduced the dt to
> 0.000000001 and emstep to  0.000000001 as well. But still I get the
> message
> Reading file Ih0001_81_93_204_min.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (double precision)
> Making 1D domain decomposition 8 x 1 x 1
> Steepest Descents:
>    Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e-05
>    Number of steps    =    705032704
>
> t = 0.000 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 190501 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates

> Program mdrun_d_mpi, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: pme.c, line: 518
>
> Fatal error:
> 3 particles communicated to PME node 7 are more than a cell length out
> of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group
>
> as part of my error message. Should I still reduce the mentioned
> parameters?

Please see here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#X_particles_communicated_to_PME_node_Y_are_more_than_a_cell_length_out_of_the_domain.0adecomposition_cell_of_their_charge_group

If energy minimization is failing at step 0, there is probably some unresolvable
geometry that is stopping the process.  Evaluate how you built the system, and
see what might be causing large forces.

-Justin

> Regards,
>
> Payman