[gmx-users] how to stop duplicate atoms from being deleted

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 26 15:14:14 CET 2009

Jennifer Williams wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for the new suggestion.
>
> However, wouldn't this again involve the sorting of my .pdb file?
>
> I have modified the specbond.dat
>
> 3
> MSI   SI    4     MO    O     2     0.16  MCM   MCM
> MSI   SI    4     MOH   OH    2     0.16  MCM   MCM
> MOH   OH    2     MH    H     1     0.101 MCM   MCM
>
> BUT the specbond.dat is called after the duplicate atoms are deleted:
>
> Now there are 4 atoms. Deleted 4280 duplicates.
> Opening library file
> /home/jwillia4/gromacs-4.0.5/code/share/gromacs/top/specbond.dat
> 3 out of 3 lines of specbond.dat converted succesfully
>
> So at present my pdb file is shortened down to 4 atoms before specdat
> even gets a chance to work on it.

You need separate residues, and if necessary, separate names for different
residue types.

> The only solution I can see to this is to rename each and every atom in
> my .pdb file with a different residue number and name.  This then means
> that I would need a huge specbond.dat where the bonds were defined for
> each of these residues-this would essentially mean defining thousands of
> bonds as I wouldn't be able to define the bonds by atom type but by
> their individual reside number. Is this correct or am I missing something?

You don't need a huge specbond.dat; as I see it, you only have nine possible
types of residues - those around the edges, and interior ones.  I will send you
a test case (off-list) that worked for me.

> What I really would like is to stop the program deleting these duplicate
> atoms-then I could use pdb2gmx to generate the entire topology file. Do
> you know a way of doing this (and here I am really hoping that I don't
> have to mess with the source code :) )?

Unfortunately, you cannot do this without modifying the source, and pdb2gmx is a
big program that is somewhat difficult to work with.

-Justin

> Thanks -I am learning a lot from your advice
>
> Jenny
>

> Quoting "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>:
>

>> Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>
>>> I can see how this rapidly becomes difficult :)  I don't believe
>>> that pdb2gmx can handle such "multi-directional" bonding, since the
>>>  residues that are connected are not necessarily numerically
>>> sequential.
>>
>> I should amend this statement (typing quicker than the brain can keep
>> up!) - It is not that pdb2gmx cannot handle multi-directional bonding,
>> it is moreso that I don't think it cannot be done using the +/-
>> convention of the .rtp files.
>>
>> Using specbond.dat, as I suggested before, should be a viable
>> alternative.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul