[gmx-users] Problem with CGMD

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 30 14:58:47 CET 2009

Anirban Ghosh wrote:
> Hi ALL,
>
> Thanks Justin for your reply.
> Now after solvating my CG system of protein in lipid bilayer, I did EM
> and the final energy values were reasonable. But while running MD I am
> getting the following error:

> Fatal error:
> Number of grid cells is zero. Probably the system and box collapsed
>
> In the archives I found this error and possible solution "to check the
> structure". But that is for all-atom system and according to  me my CG
> system is OK. But I am not sure about the mdp parameters that I got from
> a example script from MARTINI site for running lipid MD. So can you
> please check the mdp file and suggest a solution for this problem.

That advice is not specific for atomistic MD.  If there is something inherently
wrong with your structure, then you will have problems.  I'm curious to know how
you decided that everything was fine, because it certainly is not!

Have you watched the trajectory?  Does the crash happen immediately?  In my
experience, a dt > 0.02 always crashes when using MARTINI, but I know the
authors claim it can go as high as 0.04.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar