[gmx-users] Re: wierd behavior of mdrun

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Sep 5 04:17:24 CEST 2009

Paymon Pirzadeh wrote:
> Regarding the problems I have on running protein system in parallel
> (runs without output), When I run pure water system, everything is fine,
> I have tested pure water systems 8 times larger than my protein system.
> while the former runs fine, the latter has problems. I have also tested
> pure water systems with approximately same number of sites in .gro file
> as in my protein .gro file, and with the same input file in terms of
> spitting outputs; they are fine.I would like to know what happens to
> GROMACS when a protein is added to the system. The cluster admin has not
> get back to me, but I still want to check there is no problem with my
> setup! (although my system runs fine in serial mode).
> Regards,

There's no known reason why similarly-sized simulations where the only
change is between water+protein and water-only would have problems with
producing output in the absence of a crash (probably integration error
from bad equilibration). Check that your protein+water .tpr file will
run correctly elsewhere than your cluster. Check for inhomogeneities in
your cluster - if possible submit the two job types to the same physical
nodes. Equilibrate better.

Mark