[gmx-users] weird mdrun...using gromacs 3.3.3

Naga Rajesh Tummala rajesh.tnr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 19:53:09 CEST 2009

> Can you post the relevant .mdp file(s)?  Are you preserving velocity
> information from the previous trajectory, or generating new velocities?  Are
> any of the species in your system constrained?
>
> -Justin

I usually use the final output file generated by GROMACS which contain the
velocity. But, I dont preserve the velocity every timestep.

CNT,  CMT are constrained. I would want to make them move only in X
direction, but I cannot make the simulation work even when they are
constrained.

title             = Yo
cpp             = /usr/bin/cpp
include              = -I/home/rajesh/gromacs_forcefield/FMN
;include             =
-I/cygdrive/c/cygwin/gromacs_forcefield/FMN_force_field
define             =

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
integrator         = md
tinit             = 0                ; start time
dt             = 0.002            ; time step
nsteps             = 5000                ; number of steps
init_step         = 0                ; For exact run continuation or redoing
part of a run
comm-mode         = None                ; mode for center of mass motion
removal
nstcomm             = 1                ; number of steps for center of mass
motion removal
comm-grps         =                ; group(s) for center of mass motion
removal

; ENERGY MINIMIZATION OPTIONS
emtol             = 100                ; Force tolerance
emstep             = 0.1                ; initial step-size
niter             = 20000            ; Max number of iterations in
relax_shells
fcstep             = 0                ; Step size (1/ps^2) for minimization
of flexible constraints
nstcgsteep         = 1000            ; Frequency of steepest descents steps
when doing CG
nbfgscorr         = 10

; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
nstxout             = 100                ; coordinates
nstvout             = 0                ; velocities
nstfout             = 0                ; forces
nstcheckpoint         = 10000            ; Checkpointing helps you continue
after crashes

nstlog             = 100                ; Output frequency for energies to
log file
nstenergy         = 1000                ; Output frequency for energies to
energy file
nstxtcout         = 00                ; Output frequency for xtc file
xtc-precision         = 10000                ; Output precision for xtc file

; This selects the subset of atoms for the xtc file. You can
xtc-grps         =  FMN SOD                ; select multiple groups. By
default all atoms will be written.
energygrps         =  FMN    CNT SOD CMT SOL         ; Selection of energy
groups

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist             = 10                ; nblist update frequency
ns_type             = grid                ; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
pbc             = xyz                ; Periodic boundary conditions: xyz
(default), no (vacuum);; or full (infinite systems only)
rlist             = 1.4                ; nblist cut-off
domain-decomposition     = no

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
coulombtype         = PME                ; Method for doing electrostatics
rcoulomb-switch         =
rcoulomb         = 1.4
epsilon-r         = 1                ; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off
or DC of reaction field
vdw-type         = switch            ; Method for doing Van der Waals
rvdw-switch         = 1.2                ; cut-off lengths
rvdw             = 1.4
DispCorr         = EnerPres            ; Apply long range dispersion
corrections for Energy and Pressure
table-extension         = 1                ; Extension of the potential
lookup tables beyond the cut-off

fourierspacing         = 0.12                ; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT
grid

fourier_nx         = 0                ; FFT grid size, when a value is 0
fourierspacing will be used
fourier_ny         = 0
fourier_nz         = 0

; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters
pme_order         = 4
ewald_rtol         = 1e-05
ewald_geometry         = 3d
epsilon_surface         = 0
optimize_fft         = no

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS

Tcoupl             = nose-hoover            ; Temperature coupling
tc-grps         = System            ; Groups to couple separately
tau_t             = 0.1                ; Time constant (ps)
ref_t             = 300                ; Reference temperature (K)

Pcoupl             = no                ; Pressure coupling
Pcoupltype         = semiisotropic

tau_p             = 0.5    0.0                ; Time constant (ps),
compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar)
compressibility     = 4.5e-5 0.0
ref_p             = 1.0 0.0

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN
gen_vel             = no
gen_temp         = 300
gen_seed         = 1993

; OPTIONS FOR BONDS
constraints         = none
constraint-algorithm     = lincs            ; Type of constraint algorithm
unconstrained-start     = no                ; Do not constrain the start
configuration
Shake-SOR         = no                ; Use successive overrelaxation to
reduce the number of shake iterations
shake-tol         = 1e-04            ; Relative tolerance of shake
lincs-order         = 4                ; Highest order in the expansion of
the constraint coupling matrix

; Number of iterations in the final step of LINCS. 1 is fine for
; normal simulations, but use 2 to conserve energy in NVE runs.
; For energy minimization with constraints it should be 4 to 8.
lincs-iter         = 1
lincs-warnangle     = 30                ; Lincs will write a warning to the
stderr if in one step a bond rotates over more degrees than
morse             = no                ; Convert harmonic bonds to morse
potentials

; ENERGY GROUP EXCLUSIONS

energygrp_excl     =  CNT CNT CMT CMT                ; Pairs of energy
groups for which all non-bonded interactions are excluded

; Dihedral angle restraints: No, Simple or Ensemble
dihre             = No
dihre-fc         = 1000
dihre-tau         = 0
nstdihreout         = 100                ; Output frequency for dihedral
values to energy file

; Non-equilibrium MD stuff
acc-grps         =
accelerate         =