[gmx-users] Errors in constraint pulling

Hideya Nakamura hideyanakamura at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:18:04 CEST 2009

Dear GROMACS users,

I am trying to calculate the potential of mean force (PMF) of a
molecule (A) across phospholipid bilayer (LIP) using constraint
method.
I am using GROMACS ver 4.0.4.
RUN parameters are as follows
integrator               = md
tinit                    = 0
dt                       = 0.002 ;[ps]
nstlist                  = 10 ;[step]
ns_type                  = grid
rlist                    = 1.0
pbc                      = xyz

coulombtype              = pme
rcoulomb                 = 1.0	;[nm]
epsilon-r                = 1    ;(1)
vdw-type                 = switch
rvdw-switch              = 0.9 ;[nm]
rvdw                     = 1.0 ;[nm]
DispCorr                  = EnerPres

fourierspacing		 = 0.12 ;[nm] (0.12)
fourier_nx               = 0       ;(0)
fourier_ny               = 0       ;(0)
fourier_nz               = 0       ;(0)
pme_order                = 4       ;(4)
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05   ;(1e-5)
epsilon_surface          = 0       ;(0)
optimize_fft             = no

tcoupl			 = berendsen
tc_grps                  = LIP SOL A
tau_t                    = 0.1 0.1 0.1 ;[ps]
ref_t                    = 300 300 300 ;[K]
Pcoupl                   = berendsen
Pcoupltype               = semiisotropic   ;useful for membrane
tau_p                    = 1.0 1.0         ;[ps]
compressibility          = 4.5e-05 4.5e-05 ;[bar^-1]
ref_p                    = 1.0 1.0         ;[bar]

gen_vel                  = no ;yes or no
gen_temp                 = 300 ;[K]
gen_seed                 = 113 ;(173529)

constraints              = all-bonds  ;all-bonds/none
constraint-algorithm     = LINCS
unconstrained-start      = no
lincs-order              = 4   ;(4)
lincs-warnangle          = 30  ;(30)

; COM PULLING
pull                     = constraint
pull_geometry            = direction
pull_dim                 = N N Y
pullstart                = no
pull_nstxout             = 10
pull_nstfout             = 10
pull_ngroups             = 1
pull_group0              = LIP
pull_group1              = A
pull_vec1                = 0.0 0.0 -1.0
pull_init1               = -3.50
pull_rate1               = 0
pull_k1                  = 500
When I simulated under above parameters, following warnings and errors
were generated.

-Warning: pressure scaling more than 1%
-LINCS warning:

These errors were always generated when a molecule (pull_gropu1) was
existing in water phase.
After simulation, serious disruption of a molecule (pull_gropu1) was observed.

However, when a molecule (pull_gropu1) was existing inside lipid
membrane, no error was observed and calculation was successfully
conducted in constrained simulation.

I have done long time (5 nsec) simulations before constrained
simulation using umbrella method, thus I believe the initial condition
is fully equilibrated.

Could some one please give me an advice to calculate PMF?

Sincerely

Hideya Nakamura, Ph.D.

Post Doctoral Associate
University of Florida, Particle Engineering Research Center (PERC)
mail to: hideyanakamura at gmail.com