[gmx-users] Energy mimimization in AcOH box

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 12 15:36:10 CEST 2009

Aditi Borkar wrote:
> Thanx Justin.
>
> I had tried that too. Using both parameters I get the same outcome. I
> notice that increasing the emtol to 2000 (that effectively reduces the
> number of steps my system undergoes before converging) retains most of
> the structure. Should I change the dielectric constant of the solvent
> because my system is highly charged ( -744 e). The topology parameters
> from ASP side chain that I used are as follows:

I would take a step back and consider whether or not this model system is even
valid.  A 1M solution of acetic acid would have a pH of roughly 2.4, meaning
that most of the molecules would be protonated; a 9M solution would probably be
at pH close to 0, meaning that having 744 negatively-charged molecules of
acetate probably does not come close to modeling reality.

If anything, you should probably be working with a net neutral system, since you
are probably experiencing a significant amount of charge repulsion in the
system.  But strongly consider whether or not this model is appropriate.

-Justin

> [...]
> ;  ai    aj    ak    al funct            c0            c1
> c2            c3
>     1     4     3     2     2    gi_1
>
> -Aditi Borkar,
> TIFR,
> Mumbai, India
>

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Aditi Borkar wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I am simulating a protein in a box of 9M acetic acid. I have obtained
>>> the coordinates and gromacs topology for AcOH from PRODRG. The AcOH
>>> has net -1 charge and the topology file is as follows:
>>>
>> PRODRG topologies generally produce unsatisfactory charges.  For acetic
>> acid, I would use the same charges found in an ASP side chain as a starting
>> point.  You will note that your topology differs greatly from an ASP side
>> chain in any of the Gromos96 force fields.
>>
>>> [ moleculetype ]
>>> ; Name nrexcl
>>> ACA      3
>>>
>>> [ atoms ]
>>> ;   nr      type  resnr resid  atom  cgnr   charge     mass
>>>     1       CH3     1 ACA     CAA     1    0.056  15.0350
>>>     2         C       1  ACA     CAD     1    0.393  12.0110
>>>     3        OM     1  ACA     OAC     1   -0.725  15.9994
>>>     4        OM     1  ACA     OAB     1   -0.724  15.9994
>>>
>>> [ bonds ]
>>> ; ai  aj  fu    c0, c1, ...
>>>   1   2   1    0.153    334720.0    0.153    334720.0 ;   CAA  CAD
>>>   2   3   1    0.125    418400.0    0.125    418400.0 ;   CAD  OAC
>>>   2   4   1    0.125    418400.0    0.125    418400.0 ;   CAD  OAB
>>>
>>> [ pairs ]
>>> ; ai  aj  fu    c0, c1, ...
>>>
>>> [ angles ]
>>> ; ai  aj  ak  fu    c0, c1, ...
>>>   1   2   3   1    120.0       418.4    120.0       418.4 ;   CAA  CAD
>>>  OAC
>>>   1   2   4   1    120.0       418.4    120.0       418.4 ;   CAA  CAD
>>>  OAB
>>>   3   2   4   1    126.0       502.1    126.0       502.1 ;   OAC  CAD
>>>  OAB
>>>
>>> [ dihedrals ]
>>> ; ai  aj  ak  al  fu    c0, c1, m, ...
>>>   2   1   4   3   2      0.0 1673.6        0.0 1673.6   ; imp   CAD
>>> CAA  OAB  OAC
>>>
>>> When I had tried taking uncharged AcOH, during equilibration, the
>>> water and AcOH were completely segregating into two layers (like a
>>> biphasic system).
>>>
>>> My problem arises when I perform energy mimization on my solvated
>>> protein. With 300 steps of EM (emtol 1000 and emstep .01) the EM
>>> doesn't converge and more distrurbingly within these few steps, the
>>> secondary structure of my protein is completely lost. This problem
>>> does not occur when I do EM in box containing protein and pure water.
>>> The Fmax is displayed onto 2 TRP residues.
>>>
>> It is strange that this degree of change is occurring during EM.  But I
>> wouldn't try anything else until you're sure you are starting with

>>> India.