[gmx-users] simulation box size

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 15 12:35:47 CEST 2009

Aditi Borkar wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> While simulating a protein in a box of solvent, I know that the box
> size should be twice the length of the cut-off. So, if I am using a
> van der Waals cutoff of 1.4, does it mean that the box dimension
> should be atleast 2.8 nm from the periphery of the protein?

Such a distance is not necessary.  If you have 2.8 nm to the box edge, then you
have a 5.6-nm distance between periodic images, well in advance of what you
need.  You really just have to ensure that your periodic images are separated by
at least the cutoff.  Since box deformations can occur over the course this is
typically not done; instead you might just use -d 1.4.

> Secondly, in the experimental conditions, my protein concentration is
> 1 mM. This accounts to 1 protein molecule occupying 1660 nm^3. For
> such a volume, I have to generate a box with -d = 3.7 in editconf. I
> feel that the box is too large and may compromise my computational
> time. Please comment

Are you just simulating protein?  Then I would argue that the absolute
concentration is unnecessary.  If you were simulating protein + ligand, then the
ratio of the two might be important, but I don't often see simulations where
they actually attempt to get the concentration right in explicit solvent
(implicit is another story).

-Justin

> -Aditi Borkar,
> TIFR