[gmx-users] non isotropic kinetic energy

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:43:34 CEST 2009

Equipartitioning only works per degree of freedom, not per atom.

It works for translation and rotation of a water molecule,
but that requires a transformation from atomic to COM trans and rot
coordinates.

The standard Ekin in Gromacs determines translational kinetic energy.
Of the three rotational degrees of freedom of the water molecule
one can put one in the plane of the water molecule and two out of plane.
The one in plane give a "translational atomic" component in plane,
whereas the two out of plane rotations give 2 "translational atomic" components
in the out of plane direction.
Again, this does not violate equipartitioning.
Equipartitioning is per degree of freedom.
If the dof's you constrain happen to be ordered at an interface,
you remove more (or less) degrees of freedom in on direction than in another.

Berk