[gmx-users] Core i7 vs Core2Quad

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:01:58 CEST 2009

That is nearly correct.
For a single 4-core Intel Core I7 cpu, the first 4 cpu's (as well as the last 4)
cover all 4 physical cores.
Therefore the command line (under Linux) is:
mpirun -np 4 taskset 0xf mdrun
But you get 15% more performance using 8 processes (if your system is not too small):
mpirun -np 8 mdrun

It hope (but don't know) that newer Linux kernels would handle this issue better.
I am running 2.6.27.29.

Berk