[gmx-users] GMX 4.0.5 on Altix 3700 BX2: Assembly Optimizations fixed?

Steve Cousins cousins at umit.maine.edu
Thu Sep 17 19:17:08 CEST 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Carsten Kutzner wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I made some tests on an Altix 4700 some time ago because I ran into
> the same problem. If you use the fortran loops (--enable-fortran, which
> is the default on sgi) you do not loose much performance. Here are
> my benchmark results with a 80000 atom protein+bilayer+water
> simulation on a single core:
>
> inner loops  ns/day
> C                 0.12
> fortran         0.29
> assembly    0.32
>
> This was with gromacs 3.3, where the assembly kernels still worked on
> that machine.

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the message. Since you say --enable-fortran is the default on
the SGI, I take it that it is already doing this even though I didn't
specify it. Correct?  I guess it makes sense to just specify it to be
sure.

Since there is a 10% speedup by going back to version 3.3, is there any
reason *not* to use 3.3 instead on the Altix? I'm sure there are other bug
fixes and features since then but I don't know much about MD so I don't
know how important they are. I'm just getting it to run on our machine so
the chemists can run the code.

Since the optimizations worked in 3.3, it *seems* like it might not be too
bad to get them to work with the new version. Probably 4.0 was a major
re-write though. Are there any plans for fixing the IA64 optimizations?

Thanks a lot.

Steve