[gmx-users] free energy problem

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:28:09 CEST 2009

Hi,

You seem to be trying to decouple a 9 residue peptide from the rest of the system.
This "brute-force" approach will only work when you have an enormous amount
of computer power and you will have to tune all your parameters carefully.
You should consider if this approach is feasible.

You crashes are probably due to the fact that you turn off all non-bonded interactions
in the protein. That leads to a strange state which will be difficult to integrate.
If you really want to pursue this approach, you should not decouple the intra-molecular
interactions.
This is far simpler in 4.0 than what you have down now.
Simply use the original itp file and set couple-moltype in the mdp file.
You should also use an intermediate state with zero charges but full LJ interactions,
that will make the path much smoother.

Berk