[gmx-users] pdb2gmx bug?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 20 22:14:10 CEST 2009

Gard Nelson wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to convert a .pdb file to a .gro file and the corresponding
> .top using pdb2gmx.  The .pdb contains three subunits.  The subunits are
> all the same protein, however each one is a different length (I'm
> assuming this is due to the experiment because that's how the file came
> from pdb.org <http://pdb.org>).  Other than that, the subunits are
> identical (i.e. identical sequences).  I start pdb2gmx with this command:
>
> pdb2gmx -f tri_ABC.pdb -o tri_ABC -p tri_ABC -i tri_ABC -ignh -ff G53a6

No you're not "converting a .pdb to a .gro file" (which you don't ever
need to do for normal usage), you are generating a molecular topology.

Also you should probably read the paper and/or comments associated with
the .pdb file to understand the reason for the different lengths :-)

> I then get the following warnings:
>
> WARNING: atom CG is missing in residue GLN 111 in the pdb file
> WARNING: atom CD is missing in residue GLN 111 in the pdb file
> WARNING: atom OE1 is missing in residue GLN 111 in the pdb file
> WARNING: atom NE2 is missing in residue GLN 111 in the pdb file
> WARNING: atom HE21 is missing in residue GLN 111 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HE21 to the hydrogen database of
> residue GLN
>          in the file ff???.hdb (see the manual)
> WARNING: atom HE22 is missing in residue GLN 111 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HE22 to the hydrogen database of
> residue GLN
>          in the file ff???.hdb (see the manual)
> There were 6 missing atoms in molecule Protein_A
>
> Now here's where it gets wierd.  Residue 111 in all three subunits of my
> protein is SER, not GLN.  I have no idea where the program is getting
> GLN, but it's only complaining about the 'extra' atoms that GLN has, but
> SER doesn't.

Where's the nearest GLN?

Mark