[gmx-users] problems trying to run gmx with the size of $PATH

Alan alanwilter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:59:54 CEST 2009

Hi There,

I use Mac OSX 10.6.1 kernel 64 bits with Fink 64 bits.

I have a long $PATH, with several paths for several applications. If I
try 'grompp', is gives:

grompp
                         :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

[1]    33088 abort      grompp

It also happens if running SLeopard kernel 32 bits.

When I made my path shorter (keeping just the essential /usr/bin,
/sw/bin, /usr/local/bin etc.), 'grompp' worked fine.

Does anyone know if there's a limit for $PATH? or why gromacs in
particular would be affected? Because so far I got only gromacs
complaining and even though when I was using 10.5.8 (Leopard, 32 bits)
my $PATH was as big as it is and I didn't have problem then.

Many thanks in advance,

Alan