[gmx-users] Simulations with solvent shell

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 22 23:18:24 CEST 2009

Aditi Borkar wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> Thank you. I was indeed using pressure coupling.
>
> My protein is crescent shaped so if I use a regular simulation box, I
> get one with a large volume. I hoped that using a shell will reduce
> the number of atoms in the system and will facilitate computation.
>
> So should I just stick to the traditional way of using solvent boxes
> to proceed with the simulations? Is there an alternative?

If you've got a well-formed solvent-shell protocol (e.g. no periodicity,
some kind of frozen and/or restrained layer of waters, some kind of
implicit electrostatic treatment outside the shell) then it's probably
about as reasonable to use that as anything else. Certainly with an
irregularly-shaped protein any kind of minimalist classic formulation of
solvent is risky... if your protein rotates with respect to the box then
you either need heaps of unnecessary solvent, or you'll have a serious
problem. Some kind of angle restraint to the Z axis might prove to be
the best approach (manual 4.3.2).

Mark