[gmx-users] trying to get better performance in a Rocks cluster running GROMACS 4.0.4

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Fri Sep 25 14:19:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

if you run without PME, there will be no all-to-all communication
anyway,
so in this sense the paper is (mostly) irrelevant here. Since you
mention this
paper I assume that your network is gigabit ethernet. If you run on
recent
processors then I would say that for a 10000 atom system on 8 cores the
ethernet is clearly the limiting factor, even if it runs optimal (the
chance for
congestion problems on two nodes only is also very limited - these are
likely to appear on 3 or more nodes).

What is your performance on a single node (4 CPUs)? You could compare
that to the performance of 4 CPUs on 2 nodes to determine the network
impact.

Carsten

On Sep 24, 2009, at 5:08 PM, FLOR MARTINI wrote:

> Thanks for your question.
> We are running a lipid bilayer of 128 DPPC and 3655 water molecules
> and the nstep of the mdp is a total for 10 ns. I don´t think really
> that our system is a small one...
>
> Dra.M.Florencia Martini
> Laboratorio de Fisicoquímica de Membranas Lipídicas y Liposomas
> Cátedra de Química General e Inorgánica
> Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquímica
> Universidad de Buenos Aires
> Junín 956 2º (1113)
> TE: 54 011 4964-8249 int 24

Dr. Carsten Kutzner
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Goettingen, Germany
Tel. +49-551-2012313, Fax: +49-551-2012302
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/home/grubmueller/ihp/ckutzne