[gmx-users] PEO and OPLS-AA FF in gmx

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 25 20:58:00 CEST 2009

FLOR MARTINI wrote:
> Perhaps you can do your parametrization. Enter to the prodrg page and
> you will see!
> The page is:
> http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/prodrg/
> and you will get your .gro and .top, and you don't need to use the
> pdb2gmx. If you want to use it anyway, you need to edit the data base,
> but I think that the manual is not very clear for this item.
> I think that you should see the .atp they are in the
> --/gromacs/share/top/ffGxx.atp where xx is the force field that you
> would use.
> See your .pdb also and compare the atoms that there are not defined.
> Cheers.

PRODRG topologies are for use with Gromos force fields, so it will not work for
OPLS (many users have tried, and they are very disappointed).  I do not know
what this business about editing .atp files is for - you shouldn't modify them
unless you are modifying the entire force field.  Do you mean the .rtp files?
You can make modifications to it to define new residues so that pdb2gmx will
recognize them, but the .atp files generally remain unchanged.

Also important to note is that PRODRG topologies, taken at face value, are often
unsatisfactory, requiring manual modification, and validation, as always.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar