[gmx-users] neutralizing membrane protein in lipid bilayer +water

ram bio rmbio861 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:31:58 CEST 2009

Dear Gromacs Users,

Thanks Justin and Marc for the response and you were right.

As suggested, i had a view in the modelled protein pdb file and here
both the terimus are capped that is as follows;

ATOM      1  N   THR A  62     -43.095   3.360  19.026  1.00 30.00           N1+

ATOM   4804  OXT PRO A 355     -53.907  34.064  13.899  1.00110.00           O1-

then i tried to execute the pdb2gmx command as under, (which i did
earlier also): pdb2gmx -f damgomu.pdb -o damgomu_processed.gro -ignh
-ter -water spc

and selected the "Gromos96 53a6" parameter and "none" options, then
the warnings and errors where as follows:

Now there are 294 residues with 3043 atoms
Making bonds...
Warning: Long Bond (12-14 = 0.65447 nm)
Warning: Long Bond (1975-1977 = 4.21722 nm)
Warning: Long Bond (2050-2052 = 3.24295 nm)
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat

WARNING: atom H is missing in residue THR 1 in the pdb file
         You might need to add atom H to the hydrogen database of residue THR
         in the file ff???.hdb (see the manual)

Fatal error:
There were 1 missing atoms in molecule Protein_A, if you want to use
this incomplete topology anyhow, use the option -missing

and in the previous run i concatenated -missing option and continued
further, then the toplogy was written with the charge of Total charge
12.690 e ,but still the warning persisted of missing H atom in THR1.

Please suggest me how to rectify this error and why the total number
of atoms in pdb file (4815) are not matching even though the number of
residues are matching after pdb2gmx step.

Thanks,

Ram

and selected choose the "Gromos96 53a6" parameter and "none" options