[gmx-users] neutralizing membrane protein in lipid bilayer +water

ram bio rmbio861 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:55:51 CEST 2009

Dear Justin,

When I observed the toplogy file the first THR moeity was missing in 1
hydrogen atom compared to other Thr in the file so i added one line
below the 1st atom nitrogen for hydrogen as under and corrected the
qtot to 0,

1          N      1    THR      N      1      -0.31    14.0067   ; qtot -0.31
2          H      1    THR      H      1       0.31      1.008   ; qtot  0,

keeping the rest  as the same, and executed the command pdb2gmx and
selected the same force field and 1 and 1 for n-terminus and
c-terminus, and now there were no errors as under:

Now there are 294 residues with 3047 atoms
Making bonds...
Warning: Long Bond (14-16 = 0.65447 nm)
Warning: Long Bond (1977-1979 = 4.21722 nm)
Warning: Long Bond (2052-2054 = 3.24295 nm)
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
Number of bonds was 3113, now 3108
Generating angles, dihedrals and pairs...
Before cleaning: 4938 pairs
Before cleaning: 6118 dihedrals
There are 1565 dihedrals, 1646 impropers, 4562 angles
          4938 pairs,     3108 bonds and     0 virtual sites
Total mass 33592.608 a.m.u.
Total charge 13.000 e
Writing topology

 but, when i saw the topology file , the same number of atoms are
present and no change in the qtot...

Why is it that qtot of 13 and the increased number of atoms are not
shown in the toplogy file and whether have i selected the wrong
options or is it the wrong way of correcting the toplogy file...

Thanks,

Ram