[gmx-users] Parameter to for randomizing simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 29 19:37:32 CEST 2009

Jack Shultz wrote:
> I thought there was a way to introduce the random number generator via
> the application
> I was trying to use this parameter
> Id_seed=-1
> but it failed :-(
>
> I suppose I can insert a random number to gen_seed every time I
> submit. is there a range of numbers for gen_seed?

You could do that, and no, I don't think there's any pre-defined range (just
some integer).  I believe you can just set gen_seed = -1 and grompp will
generate a random number each time.  Using ld_seed is for sd and bd integrators,
per the manual.

-Justin

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Jack Shultz wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What parameter do I set in the mdp file to make it random every time it
>>> runs?
>>>
>> Random starting velocities?  Use different values of gen_seed.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>> Department of Biochemistry
>> Virginia Tech
>> Blacksburg, VA
>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080

>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface
>> or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar