[gmx-users] question about energy minimization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 29 22:12:51 CEST 2009

Amit Choubey wrote:
> Hi Omer,
>
> My question was to how to avoid the "diffusion" of molecules out of the
> box during energy minimization and MD  run? I think what you suggested
> here will just change the present trajectory into a new by using the pbc
> condition.

There is no "outside" in a periodic system.  EM should not be causing huge
changes to your system; if particles are flying around chaotically, your system
is probably not stable.

> But i am wondering shouldnt this be done in MD calculation itself. It
> seems me to me that physics will be significantly different if i dont
> put the particles which go out of the box, back into the box. In that
> way the box will keep on expanding as i increase my simulation time and
> the calculated equilibirium properties wont be very meaningful and will
> fluctuate more than they really should.

If you have inserted molecules into the system by force (if I recall the
original post), you should expect the system to expand.  Omer's suggestion was
post-processing for proper visualization; periodicity is accounted for in the MD
calculation.

The box will continue to expand until it reaches equilibrium, if possible.
After you obtain a stable box, you may be able to collect meaningful data.

-Justin

> By the way i am talking about long chain lipid molecules here and i am
> using an all bond constraint.
>
> Amit
>

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Omer Markovitch <omermar at gmail.com
> <mailto:omermar at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Trj "trjconv -pbc nojump", or "trjconv -h" and read the short help
>     printed. Omer.
>

>         I actually didnt realize this until i did a long simulation
>         after which the trajectories of some of the atoms looked way out
>         of the box dimensions. The co-ordinates of many atoms didnt lie
>         in the box range. Although the output file contained the same
>         box dimensions as I started with. Could someone help me in
>         understanding what happened?

>     posting!
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>     www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>     Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate