[gmx-users] Re: a naive question on restraints and constraints

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 30 02:03:12 CEST 2009

Payman Pirzadeh wrote:
> Hi,
> I read the wiki and manual on constraint and restraints, and I am still a
> bit confused. But, my question is, should I remove the restraints after
> equilibration in production phase?

A restraint fixes the position of an atom, or the value of an angle, dihedral,
etc.  So, if you'd like your molecule of interest to actually do something
during data collection, yes, remove restraints :)

> What about constraints? How should I know my system really needs either of
> them (is there a general rule or protocol to follow)? If I apply them
> incorrectly, how will them affect my results (in my case protein)?

A constraint fixes a bond length.  If you don't use constraints, you must use a
very small dt, like 0.5 fs.  Use of constraints allows you to use a dt of 1-2 fs
(or more if using virtual sites).  The LINCS papers (cited in the manual)
describe the background of these methods.  If you apply constraints incorrectly
(i.e., by not using them and then implementing dt of 2 fs), your system will
either rapidly collapse, or your total energy will not be conserved.

-Justin

> Payman

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate