[gmx-users] vsites, ffamber, charge groups, N-terminus, and crashes

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:47:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

There are two separate issues here.

One is the charge groups assignment with AMBER.
I think that in Gromacs we, in general, do not want all atoms in separate charge groups,
but we want to include at least the hydrogens in a charge group with the heavy atom.
We would also like the option to make every atom a single charge group,
but pdb2gmx of 4.1 already has an option for this.
Since the AMBER force fields are currently not in the Gromacs package,
we don't have control over the charge group assignment.

The second issue is the crashing of the simulations.
I don't see why simulations would crash with the slightly strange charge group assignment.
But it sounds like there is a bug somewhere.
I suspect it could happen when an NH3 group is partially over a box edge.
This is strange though, since I think I check all nasty combinations of vsite generation
and charge groups.

I already got such a file from Bert.

Berk