[gmx-users] custom forcefields or a new forcefields

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 1 07:30:44 CEST 2010

On 01/04/10 16:20, DreamCatcher wrote:
> Hello gmx-users,
>         I have just look through the mail-list to find this
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-October/045569.html concerned
> on the develop of a new force field.
>         It seems that If I wanna use a force field haven't been
> incooperate into the gromacs' extant version, What I need to do only is
> to make some new files with suffixes like .rtp / .hdb / nb.itp / bon.itp
> to contain the new force field parameters.

Yes.

> This may certainly work out
> for pdb2gmx programme, But will it also work out for another programmes
> like mdrun?

Well, it will, because pdb2gmx builds topologies that grompp can parse
into input for mdrun.

> Cause maybe the forcefield potential function are different
> from any other forcefileds contained in the gromacs. Then what others
> can I do to finally introduce a totally new force field to gromacs?

Have a look at all the possibilities GROMACS already knows about in
chapter 4, and consider also the use of table-lookups for two-body
functions (manual 6.7.2). IIRC many-bodied functions won't work yet.