[gmx-users] Problem with g_density

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 8 21:11:58 CEST 2010

1. Please include the actual commands that you used via copy and paste
so that we can see *exactly* what you did.

2. Please include a snippit of the *actual* output identifying where
the difference is that you mention here.

3. Note that g_density has some limitations, all related to volume
fluctuations:
3a. It doesn't account for volume fluctuations when normalizing the
counts to get the density (not a problem for NVT):

   for (n =0; n < nr_grps; n++) {
     for (i = 0; i < *nslices; i++)
       (*slDensity)[n][i] = (*slDensity)[n][i] * (*nslices) /
         ( nr_frames * box[axis][axis] * box[ax1][ax1] * box[ax2][ax2]);
   }

3b. Even if you center your bilayer along Z (with this program or with
trjconv preprocessing), the bilayer center may fluctuate along z
because bin numbering always starts at the bottom of the box (not a
problem for NVT):

         /* determine which slice atom is in */
         slice = (int)(z / (*slWidth));
         (*slDensity)[n][slice] += top->atoms.atom[index[n][i]].m;

User-beware.

Chris.