[gmx-users] converting parmbsc0 dihedrals to RB function

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 8 22:23:52 CEST 2010

On 8/04/2010 10:32 PM, Vigneshwar Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Dear Dr. Mark,
>
> Thanks very much for pointing out that GROMACS can handle multiple
> instances of the parameters with different n for a single dihedral.

I hope I'm right there. There's been discussion on such topics before.
There's some subtle difference between [ dihedrals ] and [ dihedraltypes
] which eludes my memory, but which will be in the archives.

> However, given that, in the existing ffamber ports in GROMACS  the other
> dihedral parameters have been converted to RB form, would it make a
> difference to just import these new parameters in the non-RB form?

It will make no numerical difference, but g_energy will probably report
the contribution from the two different functional forms separately.
Attempting to mix *non-bonded* interactions in this kind of way asks for
trouble, because the maths is not well-defined. Here, you're fine,
because the maths is right.

> To my knowledge, the torsional term should not vary (or, vary within
> acceptable limits) irrespective of the functional form used to calculate
> it. But I would like to know if there could be some reason for which
> this assumption cannot be made.

The R-B form might be more efficient to evaluate than a sum of simple
dihedrals in the cases where the angle is zero or 180, which might
explain the ffamber practice.

Mark