[gmx-users] problem with total energy

jampani srinivas jampanis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 05:25:11 CEST 2010

Dear Justin,

I am sorry for the poor description of the problem, OK let me explain you
clearly here.

I have taken a decapeptide and solvated it with box size 6.0 nm, I want to
create a frozen wall (confined sphere) around protein after a certain radius
(in this case it is 2.5 nm). To achieve this i made two temperature coupling
groups, first (Tmp1) one has protein and waters within 2.5nm from the center
of the box and rest is second temperature coupling group (Tmp2). Initially
when i run the simulation it was creating nrdf = 0 for both groups, Berk has
helped me with a file readir.c file, i compiled my gromacs again that
problem was solved. I have submitted simulations again and found that the
energy was blowing up. I think you know the story after this. Earlier I want
protein to interact with inner wall of the frozen group and check what
happens, because of this I have never looked at the energygrps_excl option.
I have done with both 2 and 4 fs time steps and I took 4fs option to speed
up the simulation, and I have to still look at the paper you suggested me.

Thanks for your suggestions, I have implemented your suggestion one after
the other, finally when i use the energygrps_excl option it worked out. Now
there is no sudden drift in the energy, and also i checked the velocities of
non-frozen group is mostly zero (except for first frame)

When I use the energygrps_excel option in the following way i am getting the
below mentioned note i have to still understand what is this message. On the
other hand if i use only "energygrp_excl  = Tmp2 Tmp2 Tmp2 Tmp1"  line in
mdp file i am getting fatal error. Is it necessary to to define the energy
groups first and later exclude the energy option?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

energygrps     = Tmp1 Tmp2
energygrp_excl  = Tmp2 Tmp2 Tmp2 Tmp1

NOTE

"Can not exclude the lattice Coulomb energy between energy groups"

I used -maxwarn option here and generated the tpr file. I hope this does not
harm the simulation.

Please let me know your comments and suggestion.

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Srinivas.